Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Satisfied

Recently, I had a friend ask me a question. He said, "Would you be satisfied if your children had the same level of spiritual maturity that you have?" My answer was "No, but they'd he farther along than I was at their age", as if that was the measuring stick for spiritual maturity. Thankfully, it's not. As I walked away from that conversation, I could not shake his question and my answer. I'm not currently pleased with my own level of spiritual maturity and if my children were at the same level, I wouldn't feel like I could just sit back and relax and not help them along their journey.As a pastor, I know that children get most of their spiritual role modeling from their parents. More and more research also shows that when it comes to these things, more is caught than taught. With children, it never works to "Do as I say, not as I do." With this in mind, I would ask you a question. Would you be satisfied if your children had the same level of spiritual maturity that you have?We are in a war not against flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:12), but against spiritual forces. Shouldn't we be fighting every day to equip our children with the tools they will need for each day's battle? No doubt, there are many things going on at your house — many different places to be; many different activities to be involved in; voices calling us to do this or that every day. Make sure that what gets pushed back is not what has to do with our relationship with the Lord. That relationship is the one thing we actually need in order to do battle each day.I'm thankful for my friend asking me this question. It has been a constant reminder for me to battle for what is most important in life. Thankfully, God has given us His Word (Bible) and His Body (Church) to guide us toward what is true and right. These are not gifts to be used whenever it's convenient. They are to be used continually."These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." - Deuteronomy 6:6-7 

No comments: