Monday, February 4, 2013

I lift my eyes


"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." - Psalm 121:1-2

No doubt you and I are working through many different struggles in our lives.  Our world and our culture offer many different ways of which to handle these things.  Even our local Christian bookstores are packed with self-help books and ways to change our circumstances.  Suffice it to say, we have a ton of places to look for hope in the circumstances we are currently going through.  But what is right?  Where do we look for help in our times of trouble?  We can understand from the Psalmist of old that our help and our hope comes from the Lord.  We know from Scripture that God is somehow working all these things together for our good.  And we know, that one day, He will fix it all.  In Charles Spurgeon's devotional Morning and Evening, he reminds us of this truth with these words.

“When the world my heart is rending
With its heaviest storm of care,
My glad thoughts to heaven ascending,
Find a refuge from despair.
Faith’s bright vision shall sustain me
Till life’s pilgrimage is past;
Fears may vex and troubles pain me,
I shall reach my home at last.”

No comments: